Friday, February 23, 2007

Yoga in bed


I had the best intentions of sleeping in late this morning, but it just didn't happen. So instead of getting up and greeting the day, I stayed in bed for a bit of yoga (asana), breathing exercises (pranayama) and meditation. I started with reclined bound angle pose (supta baddha konasana) followed by a gentle twist to the right then to the left. For my twist, I pulled my knees into my chest then simply released the feet and knees to the side. I held each pose for about 4 minutes.
I followed this by stretching my legs forward for corpse pose (savasana) and following a 3 part breath. I started with my hands on my tummy inhaling to feel the breath fill my tummy. I stayed her for 10 deep breaths. Then I moved my hands to my ribcage, feeling the ribcage rise and fall with the inhalation and exhalation. Then on up to the area by my collarbones, repeating the same process. The breath moves from the stomach all the way up to the collarbones, then from the collarbones back down to the tummy, moving in a wavelike pattern.
And last, I simply laid in bed and did a 10 minute meditation. I didn't plan my breakfast, what I would do today, or even what I plan to make in my pottery class. I just laid here, letting my body and mind rest and be very quiet. I love doing breath work and meditation first thing in the morning, before we feel the effects of our day.
If you don't have plans for tonight, come by the studio for potluck dinner and viewing of The Secret. Everybody has been talking about this film. Come see what it's all about!
The quilt in the above photo and made by my great, great friend Liz. It was my first quilt ever, I guess I've had it for about 11 years. This is the quilt I used for most of my college days. Ahh, fun days!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the link! I hope your pancakes were good!