Tuesday, August 17, 2010

what keeps you awake at night?

I could have posed this question another way....
"What scares you the most?"

Because truth be told....there isn't much of anything that keeps me awake at night. I'm a kapha kinda gal in that way.

But what scares the heck out of me?
The idea of wasting my life.

Yep, that's it. If anything kept me awake at night, that would be it.
Not making my life... this life count for something.

Mary Oliver is my favorite poet and there are a few lines in a few poems that when I hear or read, they pierce straight to my heart. They are:

"One day you finally knew what you had to do, and began."
"Are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Yep these three phrases sum it up for me.
Because this is it. Life isn't a dress rehearsal. And it's reeeealllly important to me to get it as right as I can this time around.

So every single day I think about what it means to make my life count. What does that look like and feel like fore me? And it's always the same thing.

It's about making a difference. That's what I want to do. It's about reading, writing, practicing, exploring, seeking, dreaming, and wondering about all the ways that I can make my heart whole, happy, and healthy. Then sharing with others with the hope that they can heal in the ways they need to.

The things that I write
The things that I says
The things that I think
The things that I teach
The things that I do....

It all comes down to that....
making a difference
making an impact.

That's what I plan to do with my one wild and precious life.
What about you?

No comments: