Sunday, August 17, 2008

yoga for a cold



I woke up this morning feeling a little under the weather. So I chose to spoil myself with a restorative yoga sequence. But to be honest, it wasn't too much of a choice as the thought of one sun salutation was exhausting simply to think about. :-) If you find yourself wanting to give yourself some extra love today, or if you're feeling bad find a clear wall, plenty of pillows and cushions, and just rest. Just Be.

Here's the sequence I practiced:

*Legs Up the Wall - Sit close to a wall. While you take your torso back, swing your legs up the wall. If this is too much for your hamstrings, move your bum a little further away from the wall.
*Reclining Twist - I moved into this twist from legs up the wall. Just bend your legs and pull your knees into your chest. Release the legs over to the right and release your arms out to the sides shoulder height, palms facing up.
*Supported Bridge Pose - I used two big meditation cushions that almost ran the length of my body. Sitting down I shimmied around until my shoulders and head released off the support and stretched my arms out open wide.
*Supported Bound Angle - I stacked the two meditation pillows and placed another pillow in front of those so that when I reclined back I was in a very comfortable spot. Bring the soles of your feet together, release the knees out, close your eyes, and just relax.

Those poses felt really good for me as they allowed my chest to open up and helped to get circulation up into my upper torso. I rested in each place for about five minutes. Of course you can stay longer. Five minutes or more will really help to relax your nervous system. And if you don't have all the "proper" yoga supplies just get creative in using things that support you and simply feel good. Cause' really that's what it's all about.

If you want to see other restorative poses then click here for pics and full details.

I'm off to drink some orange juice then get ready to meet my dear sister at Joseph Beth for catching up and a late lunch. If the restorative yoga doesn't do it for me I figure the trash mags, spiritual and self help books will definitely bring a smile to my face. ;-)

Check out the Barefoot Works Yoga Teachers in the pic above. We had a very fun meeting Friday night to catch up, chat about the art of teaching yoga, discuss future offerings at the studio and much more. It's so exciting for me to have such amazing gals be a part of Barefoot Works.

May all of you have a lovely Sunday....

No comments: