Wednesday, November 07, 2007

just be



I'm currently teaching yoga to a great group of gals at an elementary school. I really enjoy teaching yoga to teachers as I feel that they have a big, special, and many times stressful job. I received an email yesterday from one of the teachers and she said that she's finally learning to slow down, something that has never been easy for her. She said that her parents were always on the go and that many times they equated slowing down with being lazy. I'm sure they're not the only ones, haven't we all thought this as some time?
I promptly emailed my yogini back and talked about the fact that sometimes we simply need to "be". We need rest, we need relaxation, we need some space that encourages stillness. And I was so happy to hear that she was getting this message that really is instilled in yoga. It makes me so happy when I see people making these connections.
Soon after that email, I had an "aha" moment. I called my mom to say hello and good morning. Here's a bit of our conversation....she's in red, that's me in purple.
Are you at the studio this morning?
No, I don't teach until noon. I'm upstairs doing some work.
It's not even 8:00. Won't you be at the studio all day?
Yes, but I feel like I should be doing something.
Hmmm, I'm gonna practice what I preach now. I'm off to have a cup of tea and hang out with my dogs. Have a beautiful day and take a couple times today to wonder off and do nothing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, you just need to be still sometimes!
My mother was pretty cool and forward thinking!

bella said...

thank-you for this.
just what I needed.
do you want to move to chicago and be my teacher? :)