Wednesday, September 05, 2007

the heart


This is Irene (I know, she's sute)! Irene posts comments on this blog quite often (thank you Irene). Tonight before the yin yoga class she and I were talking about yoga and of course the wonder-fullness of it. She has another yoga friend and when they speak they speak about "leading with the heart". And I just love, love this. And how many times do I say this per class? I haven't counted, but I'm sure it's a lot. Isn't it such a perfect idea....leading with the heart open.
When you take a look at people, notice their posture. Are their shoulders rounding forward, or are they back and down (heart open), is the head dipping down low (chin to chest) or is the head held high, chin parallel to the floor, steady gaze straight forward. The heart open and the held held high...that's the posture of a yogi my friend. I jokingly tell my students "Even if you are having a day straight from hell, open your heart and lift your head." It's a lot more difficult to be depressed in this position. And you'll even appear happier.
Leading With My Heart,
Sharon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the best!
Mara will be so thrilled that she made the Barefoot Blog!
As you know, I love this phrase. I think too, it says something about being honest and real - putting the best you have out there. Some days that is harder than others.

Amy said...

I don't try to use my head much but I do try to lead with my heart..it works out so much better :)

bella said...

Lead with your heart.
I'll remember this for some time.
I've been seeing a N.U.C.A. practitioner and it is amazing really what our posture says. Heart open and back and held high. this is how I want to live.
Thanks.