Friday, September 09, 2011

true yoga


"True yoga doesn't care about the shape of your body, but the shape of your life." ~Aadil Palkhivala

As many of you know, the theme at the studio this month is "contemplation". That's a pretty big container, right?!

This week in my classes and practice I decided to focus on ahimsa (nonharming), which is the first of the yamas.

Since the asana is a personal practice, meaning it's truly an aid to move from the external to the internal. {I say this loosely, cause really it's all connected.} I invited students to practice ahimsa by letting their thoughts (this includes mental chatter) and actions (this includes poses and transitions) come forth from a place of love and compassion for themselves.

Perhaps when we can dedicate love to ourselves we can then dedicate to our family and friends.

Then we can dedicate love to the person in front of us at the grocery store.

Then we can dedicate love to those in foreign countries.

Then we can dedicate love to those who have harmed us. Challenging? Yep.

Then we can dedicate love to all beings.

Anywhere and everywhere.

Then yoga takes shape in our body, our mind, our heart, and our entire life.

PS - The lovely Erin Smith gifted me with a CD yesterday (which I believe to be one of the best gift ever). In route to the coffee shop for my soy latte I was jamming out to "Where is the love". It certainly put me in the love mode. ;) Dance party??

No comments: