Wednesday, September 21, 2011

the art of befriending yourSelf


I've recently revisited the book Comfortable with Uncertainty by Pema Chodron. Last week I read a passage and it really hit home for me. In fact I shared the quote on Facebook last week and it's serving as inspiration for my classes this week. Here it is:

"Meditation practice isn't about trying to throw ourselves away and become something better. It's about befriending who we already are."
Isn't that reassuring? Even letting ourselves partially believe that we don't have to change ourselves, our lives, our emotions, or the experiences around us, but instead befriend ourselves in each moment as they come and go. Yoga philosophy teaches us not to get attached to how things are because change can and will occur in a moments notice.

I'm experiencing this now and continually reminding myself that nothing is permanent. I ask myself:

What am I feeling?

Can I meet myself where I am and extend myself loving kindness?

I'm delighted that we are offering you two opportunities this week to befriend yourself.
An eight week meditation course taught by Patrick Holloway begins tonight at 7:30. I can't even believe the price, only $40 for the eight sessions. FYI, Patrick is not doing this to add to his income, but because his teacher has asked him to teach and he has a true desire to serve and share what he loves. Read more details here: http://www.rsl-lex.org/courses/

This Friday from 6:30 to 8:00 pm Sarah Bowker is teaching this month's themed workshop on Contemplation. It will be the perfect way to greet the fall season. We still have some space so visit the website and get yourself registered (or do so at the studio).

Happy befriending....


PS - Image from Rumi page on FB. The words and iamges are a feast for eyes and heart.

No comments: