Monday, May 04, 2009

why barefoot works


I've been getting this question quite a bit here of lately. This morning I was scrolling through the older posts of my blog (I want to turn my blog into a little book for myself so if any of you techie gals has any tips do let me know) and found this.

I find that I spent (and still do) a lot of time really thinking deliberately about myself, my life, teaching, yoga, the studio, and all of you. Way before I had yoga students, I was thinking about the type of students I wanted to surround myself with. It has clearly worked. I couldn't have dreamt up a better group of inspiring people. Always hoping all the way to the seat of my soul I get all of "this" right....or as right as I can get it for right now.

So here it is....a little story about Barefoot Works and how the name came to be.

When I was a young girl growing up in a rural area of Eastern Kentucky, my siblings and I could step out of our front door and into an untamed world of magic and imagination. Countless days and times, we would come home from school, run onto the front porch just to take our shoes off and escape outside for hours. Walking barefoot with the soft moist grass beneath my feet was a joyful experience that allowed me to feel complete freedom. My siblings and I were more at home in nature than our own home. We were completely surrounded by the most magnificent mountains and it was here that we learned that we could do anything and be anybody. We set forth with impossible challenges, risked everything, and always played for keeps.

Years later I stumbled upon yoga. In a yoga class just outside of Houston, I took my shoes off and for an hour and a half I stretched, twisted, and balanced on my bare feet. It was here on my yoga mat, that once again I discovered the same blissful barefoot freedom that I had experienced in my younger years. Yoga is a creative and joyful expression that nurtures my body, mind and spirit, much like the mountains of eastern Kentucky. Upon returning to Kentucky, I made a decision that I would find a way to share my love of yoga with others. This creative vision resulted in Barefoot Works. A deligtul yoga studio located in Lexington, KY. I invite you into a soulful space where I hope you can rediscover your very own barefoot bliss.


So the question to you....what's your story? It's just like they say, "Everybody's got a story, what's yours?"

2 comments:

melanie mauer said...

what a great post! sharon...i adore you! here's a link to a bookmaker for turning your blog into a book: http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook warmly, -melanie-

p.s. away on a bit of work travel but anxious to return to yoga class!

Anonymous said...

Barefoot Works has always seemed to me the most perfect name for a yoga studio. It was what (in part) drew me to first come to class.
I too have barefoot roots much like yours (although in a different part of the state). As much as the cool grass on my feet, I remember the dusy dirt between my toes as we would walk to the back of our farm on the dirt road. The dirt was so fine and soft and warm - it was soothing as it touched our feet. There was also something comforting about being able to look back down the road and see your footprints. Sort of a confirmation that we had a purpose in where we were going.
Good luck with your book. I will be first in line to purchase my autographed copy!
Love your blog!
irene