Sunday, October 12, 2008

yoga as a means for self discovery


This weekend I spent a good amount of time reflecting on some things to clarify what's really important to me. Sitting on the couch with pretty pens, paper and important questions allowed me to ponder what it is about yoga that keeps me coming back to the mat,as a teacher and a student. Spending time hiking in Berea with a dear yoga friend also allowed me to put some things in perspective. Nature is good for the soul. Always.

What I've realized is that yoga has always allowed me to go within and observe what's going on. When I started yoga it was about observing the breath and sensations I was feeling in the postures. As time and my yoga practice have progressed, I've allowed myself to move deeper (literally and figuratively) into my yoga practice. I have no doubt that yoga (for me) is an ongoing process that helps me to align body, mind, and spirit. If my body is feeling all out of whack, there is probably an area of my life that is out of whack. This could range from my relationships, to food, physical environment, exercise, lack of "me" time, etc. Yoga helps me to balance my inner and outer life.

So this brings me to my very first series here on the Barefoot Works blog. Beginning Monday I'll present a question for you to ponder and a yoga pose that can help you to explore the question. Let's see if your yoga pose and inquiry can lead you to discover something intersting about your life. If nothing else, it will be a great chance to fit a little yoga into your day. :-)

Sound fun? I hope that you'll play along this week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Count me in!
irene