Monday, December 17, 2007

day one to do good


Last weeks q&a with Jen Lile has inspired "Five Days to Do Good". Each day this week I'll do a little something to lift people's spirits and find simple ways to give back. I'm so very excited about todays effort to do a little good in the world. I've signed on to be a part of KIVA, Loans that Change Lives. Kiva helps you to "connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. By choosing a business on Kiva.org, you can "sponsor a business" and help the world's working poor make great strides towards economic independence. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you can receive email journal updates from the business you've sponsored. As loans are repaid, you get your loan money back." Pretty awesome, huh?! And even better 100% of what you loan goes directly to those in need.
I made a donation to Zahara Amir , the owner of a hair salon in Tanzania, where customs and traditions make it challenging for women to own land and assets. Once you loan money you even get to post your pic alongside others who have supported Zahara. Again pretty nifty, right?
I think that all of us should question ourselves about ways that we can give back. It doesn't have to be with money alone. It can be with time, energy and effort. I hope to get creative this week in the ways that I give back.
FYI - That sorta scary looking pic above is my vision board. It seems that this week of doing good will go right along with giving and receving from the earth.

No comments: