Friday, December 21, 2007

day five to do good

Today's do go deed is pretty cool and since I'm married to a teacher, I thought it to be an excellent way to give back this holiday season. Go the "adopt a classroom" and you can choose almost any school you'd like to donate money to. Teachers spend an average of $1,200 of their own money each year for classroom supplies (that's a lot of $). You can donate as little as $25, specify which school and even which teacher you want the money to go to. All contributions are tax deductible, so why not give a little to a school that you attended? And how many of us can bring to mind one or two teachers that made such an impact on our life and helped in some small or large way to become the person we are today? I know I can easily recall a couple that I still carry around in my heart and in my head.

I'm always reminded to the goodness in people during the holiday season. Sure traffic and stores can be a bit crazy (and I remind myself to put on my "patient pants") and you get the occasional person totally lacking in the holiday spirit....but for the most part people are doing great fun things like gathering, celebrating, baking, crafting, chatting, sharing, decorating, and passing on the holiday cheer. And many of us find our own unique ways to "do good", to give back, and life the spirits of others.

Wouldn't life be worth the living
Wouldn't dreams be coming true
If we kept the Christmas spirit
All the whole year through?~Author Unknown

Andy and I will be leaving tomorrow for DC for our very own Christmas getaway (big smile and arms waving excitedly)! All the gifts have been shipped, we've seen our families and friends, now we're getting the heck outta town. I hope that each of you have a beautiful holiday. :-)




No comments: