Tuesday, October 23, 2007

moon salutations


Last night in her classes Teresa taught the Kripalu style moon salutations, which were very, very lovely. The Kripalu moon salutations were created by women with the goal of balancing out the sun salutations that we are all so familiar with. I'm always intrigued by the various styles and ways of doing yoga. There truly is a style, and an approach to yoga suitable for all people. But it may take some searching to find it.
As promised, here is a link to the moon salutes that Teresa taught last night. The different flow of the moon salutes has inspired me to do some teaching of some Taoist Yoga sequences. Yin yoga, (you know the one that so many of you love) includes the deep passive holds of poses. There are actually some energetic, flowing yang sequences that are really beautiful. One of the reasons that I love vinyasa so much is because I love the connection of the poses with the breath and how "dance-like" the practice can be. The yang sequences that are part of Taoist yoga are just as beautiful....and they are fun and challenging. Have I captured your attention yet?! Join me this evening to breathe, move and explore.

3 comments:

bella said...

Thank-you for this. I've tried a couple different teachers and styles but have not found the right fit. It is helpful to hear that yoga is so big and open and expansive and that I can and will find my place.

Anonymous said...

Loved the Taoist yoga! I have to admit that I had a tough time with it, since I have zero sense of direction and am quite possibly the world's most uncoordinated person.... Still, I didn't feel defeated while doing the sequences, I felt very challenged and quite graceful between my internal dialogue of, "Wait a minute, is it left or right?", and, "Why am I facing a different direction than everyone else?".

It was great to change things up like that and I loved the challenge, so hooray!

--Sharon Y.

Sharon Tessandori said...

Bella, yes you will find both a teacher and a style that is perfect for you. I'm sure of it...

Sharon, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Taoist yoga! It is so much different then what we traditionally do in class. And you're right, it is a very graceful and beautiful practice. Happy to hear you didn't feel defeated, because you did a really great job.

PS - Your comment made me giggle. :-)