Monday, July 30, 2007

summit city

Andy and I went to Whitesburg this weekend to join in the pre-opening festivities of my brother's coffee shop, Summit City. I've been assisting Joel in planning and purchasing things for the coffee shop for a while now. He purchased this building more than a year ago and has been diligently working on restoring it...or the contractors have been working to restore it. :-) That beautiful tin was hidden underneath a dropped ceiling and those beautiful floors were buried beneath carpet. Really, why do people do such crazy things?!

Saturday night Si Kahn a renowned folk artist and Gravy of Los Angeles (not together, that would have been a bit odd) played until late in the night. Over 110 people came out to enjoy the music, mingle, and see the hippest spot in all of eastern Kentucky (and quite possible the hippest coffee shop I've ever been in). This much support in a town of about 1500. It was really, really amazing. Following the music, we put a closed sign on the door and friends and family turned the stage into a dance floor. I literally danced for about four hours straight. It was the most exhilarating night.




This is Joel and Amelia. Closing time, finally a moment to revel in the space they've created. This is my brother's second business. The coffee shop is really more of a hobby, a place for people to gather and have a grand time. And I think that many people are going to enjoy this special place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool!
Starbucks better watch out!
The building is beautiful.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

The coffee shop looks awesome, and it sounds like a place with a lot of energy. I'm visiting Letcher County next week, and I will definitely check the place out.