Friday, July 13, 2007

nightmare


I awoke bright and early this morning, ready to greet the day when I felt a tingling sensation on my top lip. This was a sensation that I've grown quite accustomed to. I immediately started to freak out when I felt my lip and discovered the beginnings of a cold sore. "Just perfect, I thought." The very day before I leave for Mexico. I hopped out of bed, got dressed, and slathered some prescribed ointment for cold sores on my lip. I barely brushed my hair (I didn't even brush me teeth. I didn't want to wash the cream off my lip) and dashed out the door. I knew that my sister was my only hope in taking care of this pesky problem. She always has these "magical little pills" that will zap a cold sore if you take them upon the very first sighting of a blister. They're completely legal, I promise.
I was driving through Jessamine County towards the river to hop on the ferry and make my way to Richmond. And yes, it's more than a hop, skip, and jump away. We're talking like a 45 minute trip one way. But all I kept thinking about was having this growth on my face the whole time I'm in Mexico. I thought, "The sun will make this thing a monster." I had finally calmed myself down by the time I made it to her house. I walk in the door and she was waiting for me, pills in hand. "How many do you want", she asked. "As many as you can spare," I responded. This all coming from the gal that never takes meds. There's no telling what I would have done at the moment just to take an eraser and wipe my lip clear of any signs of a cold sore.
A bit drastic you think? Maybe. But I've had this thing about cold sores for forever. I feel like such a mutant when I get one. I've downed about six pills and luckily this thing is going away.
So I've gotten to move forward with packing, getting my teaching materials ready, and downloading some new cd's for my classes in Mexico... Bob Marley's Legend cd. How perfect is that for the beach?!
I'm planning to disconnect from my cell phone, email and Internet while I'm in Tulum. I'm sure I'll have lots to blog about when I get back home and plenty of pictures to share. I will miss all my yogi's, but know that you will be in wonderful hands with Teresa, Leigh Ann, and Toni. And of course, I'll be sending lots of sunshine your way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All's well that ends well!
Now, enjoy your trip and bring back tons of pics and stories.
Don't forget to take time to "just be still for a while"!
irene