Sunday, July 22, 2007

paradise found



Tulum is one of the most beautiful, serene places that I have ever visited. The outside world floats away as you make your way towards Maya Tulum. I was so pleased when our van driver pulled into the half circular stone drive and said "Welcome to Maya Tulum". The reception area was a tiny looking cabana that housed a small boutique on the left and the office on the right. There was always a staff member sitting at the desk outside in the open air. Victor and Abraham called taxis for us, scheduled tours for our group, carried our bags too and from our cabana, and helped with a variety of other things. The sincerity, and the energy of the staff was beyond amazing. Megan was wonderful in coordinating our yoga classes and making sure everything was perfect, the restaurant and bar staff were courteous, efficient and impeccable in service, and Fabian a massage therapist and spiritual healer deserves a huge thank you for his warmth, kindness and peaceful ways.




My cabana (cabana 19) was a charming place to call home for the week. The simplicity of the room, the openness and airiness was just what I wanted. No television and no telephone made is quite easy to disconnect. There were two comfortable adirondack type chairs in the front of the cabana that offered amazing views of the sun rising over the ocean. I woke every day around 6:00 and enjoyed the sun rise. Some mornings I did sun salutations, some I tried to capture the beauty by taking photos, and others I just sat in a chair sipping coffee, taking it all in.



The food was so fresh. I left every single meal feeling nourished and refreshed. Our group met for nearly every meal and ooohed and ahhhed at how tasty it was. Gathering together at meal times was a favorite thing to do of ours. And of course, doing yoga at this place was just as magical as everything else. We were able to hear the waves as we sat in meditation and relaxed into savasana. Types of yoga included vinyasa, hatha, yin and restorative yoga.


It was such a joy to be at a place where you could literally go barefoot all week long. All you needed was a couple bathing suits, yoga clothes and some sunscreen. Our entire group really, really enjoyed Maya Tulum and I find myself looking forward to my next visit. This place and the people was paradise found.

No comments: