Monday, December 27, 2010

what's your vision for 2011

Greetings Friends! This is a long letter, so bear with me. There is some really important information to follow.

For as long as I can remember I've always wanted "to help people". In high school when I thought about what I wanted to be when I grew up, that was all I got. In college, it was the same thing. I knew I didn't want to work in the healthcare setting. I thought about psychology. I loved philosophy, but what did one do with a philosophy degree? I eventually landed on Recreation & Park Administration. I could help people by administering their recreation. I was so intent that I stayed in college and went on to receive my Master's degree in Recreation & Park Administration. I wanted to be really good at planning and supervising the pursuit of play.

I helped people for the four years that I worked in City Parks and Recreation in Texas. I was good at my job. I loved the people I worked for and with. I didn't dread going to work everyday. But something started to shift for me. There were many life events happening that were forcing me to look at myself in ways I never had. I was changing, growing in ways that were new and uncomfortable. It was during this time that I really connected with the yoga practice. Each hour I spent on the yoga mat saved me a little more. My body, mind, and heart were opening in new and profound ways.

So why did I quit my job, sell my house, and move to back to Kentucky (thankfully I have a supportive husband)? Because I literally felt like I was being called to something greater. In my young and impressionable twenty's I created a vision for myself. A vision that included living life on my terms, choosing my path, sharing yoga, exploring life with hope and curiosity. And yes, helping people. That's how Barefoot Works was born.

That was over six years ago. Now I'm being called to a higher vision. I've said it numerous times that the yoga poses we practice in class are just a tiny part of the practice. There is much more to this ancient and wise system. Practical tools that continue to amaze me. Tools that I've used throughout the years that have assisted me in most every area of my life.

Where is all this leading? A few weeks ago I spoke in great honesty about the idea of something dying in order to give birth to something new. I am birthing a new vision for myself and Barefoot Works for 2011. Each week I have students confide to me in person and through email. Backache, heartbreak, no energy, feeling anxious and uninspired. You have questions. While I don't have all the answers, I do have some. I am confident that one can find their way to greater joy by tapping into the wisdom of yoga.

Together with group classes, workshops, tools, blogging, and more we'll work to create balance, harmony, and happiness for all of you. Meaning the physical, mental/emotional, intellectual and spiritual.

As the leader of Barefoot Works I will provide all of you with tools, systems, and strategies to support your growth and transformation throughout the year. It's simple. Twelve months. Twelve themes. Why twelve months? Because neither thoughts, actions, beliefs, nor bodies change overnight. It takes time. Why one month per theme? Research shows that it takes at least 21 days of practice to create a habit, a practice, a pattern. Why themes? These themes will challenge each of us as teachers to take our teaching to a whole new place. The themes will be a common thread (sutra) that run through each of our classes. For you the benefit is going deeper into your yoga practice. Every thing about your practice will be elevated.


You come to your fave classes, enjoy your fave teachers, get a great physical practice and learn how to take your practice to the next level. Nothing will be taken away, you will be getting more. If you love what you're learning and want to know more there will be a workshop each month. It's totally optional. What you practice and learn in class will elevate you to a whole new level. The workshops will rock your yoga world.

Over the course of the next week we'll have an additional page on our website where you can find information about this transformative year. In addition to information on the website and in classes, I'll be blogging one day a week on the theme of the month. I have other ideas too, as this is just the beginning. I'm so very excited and I hope you're feeling energized too.

What better theme to begin with but our hopes and dreams for the year? What might your vision for 2011 offer? What is important to you? What values do you choose to live by? I'm looking forward to exploring this with you. If you are feeling that you want to move through your year with passion and purpose then please consider joining me for the daylong retreat Resolve to Evolve. You can find details (and register) here. http://clients.mindbodyonline.com/ws.asp?studioid=2996&stype=-8

Don't wait, space is limited and last year this event sold out. And to help everybody out, I've extended the early registration date.

Looking forward to sharing this magical year with all of you. I welcome your ideas and suggestions about how we can support you.

Can't wait to dive into the New Year with each of you!

cheers,
sharon

No comments: