Tuesday, April 17, 2007

the art of sitting still


Irene, a gal at the studio, told me last night about a connection she made about her mother's old and wise saying and yoga. She said that when she was very young and rambunctious her mother as times would tell her "You just need to sit still." Irene said that during those early days her mother was probably just losing her patience with her little ones. However, Irene also noted that as she got older and when she had big and small decisions to make, her mother would give her the same advice "You just need to sit still." Irene's mother was probably well aware of the the need to quiet our mind in order to tap into our true selves.
Whether or not Irene's mother was aware of it, she was giving some very yogic advice. We begin and end all of our classes at the studio with "sitting still" and simply quieting our mind. It's usually during those moments of stillness and quietness that we can tune into the true nature of our truest, most authentic selves. So whether your on your yoga mat, sitting at a park, or at your desk, allow yourself a few moments to sit still and just enjoy your breath. See how it makes you feel afterwards.
Irene, please feel free to leave a comment and elaborate on your mother's wise teaching. Thanks for sharing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, thanks for sharing about my Mother. She was a pretty cool cookie and very smart. Her advice rings true to me every day and I think that yoga makes perfect sense with how she wanted us (our family) to live.
When you think about it "Just be still for a while" applies to so many things. When I am tempted to make a quick decision or react in haste (with a comment that might come back to haunt me later) or speak to quickly in anger - I use that advice. Most things, I have found, have a way of working out.
Mother often told me "something is telling you to slow down, just be still for a while, things will work out."
Mothers are almost alway right!
irene

Sharon Tessandori said...

Thanks Irene, it does sound like your mother was a smart gal. I love this advice :-)

I think that many things we do are out of haste, boredom, or because we're expected to. We live in a society now where we are almost expected to fill up our days and our schedules. Otherwise, we're not viewed as "productive". I think we can all benefit from sitting still more often.