Thursday, September 28, 2006

Yogi of the Month - Teresa Thompson


I’d like to thank Barefoot Works Yoga Studio for naming me “Yogi of the Month” and for asking me to write a little about my world and my experience with yoga. I feel very fortunate at this stage in my life and am grateful to be exploring new friendships with Sharon, Leigh Ann, and the other students I see at practice. Barefoot Works has become my second home in recent weeks; I take advantage of every class I can manage and have learned something new and valuable with every visit. The spirit of yoga is alive and well in Patchen Village.

My personal adventure with yoga began more than 30 years ago. Comparing histories with friends, mine seemed in reverse with what may be typical for contemporary Western students; the asanas, or postures, were not my first area of interest. Through a complex series of synchronicities, I found a spiritual teacher who introduced me to part of what is known as "The Eight Limbs of Yoga": self-observation, the ethical disciplines, concentration, meditation, etc. He instructed that we should cultivate conscious awareness in all of our activities, whether it be during meditation or cleaning the toilet. I read, studied, and worked to refine my practice and understanding, trying as I could to apply the teachings to my own evolution, and to daily life. At this time, I did not have a physical practice, though it did eventually come about. I tend to believe that it happened when the time was right.

Just after my 50th birthday, I signed up for a yoga class in downtown Lexington -- without a doubt the best gift I ever bought for myself. At that time I was injured, arthritic, and smack in the middle of some serious post-menopausal feelings of stagnation, isolation, low energy, a job change -- doubting of my self worth. It got worse before it got better, but the improvements in my physical, mental, and emotional states, after only 3 months of yoga practice, were astonishing to me (and I’m not easily sold on quick remedies). In the 5 years which have passed since my first official asana class, I can say with a high degree of certainty that there's no going back. Recognizing a good thing when you find it -- or when it finds you -- is the only logical, practical choice. Observing, trusting, and responding to one's own inner voice may be a new experience, but it may be a turning point in life, so we must listen closely.

In current classes at Barefoot Works I’m happily learning about Vinyasa and Yin and working toward improved strength and balance, personal goals. Sharon has a gift for guiding students through centering and relaxation, pranayama, and the asanas. I trust her as an informed instructor, and more importantly, as a good human. I’m also very pleased to find a yoga studio that doesn’t just cater to leisure class folks. I have to work (a fact of life) and the evening classes are a great way to resolve and re-translate the day, and maintain the discipline of a daily practice with others -- just plain fun.

I really hope to be part of a growing community of yogis at Barefoot Works. People of like (or even similar) mind can effect such positive change in the state of our world, which is too often dominated by issues of personality, ego, fear, and distraction. Being equipped to be present in the moment, regardless of the quality of that moment, is an aspiration. I believe that as subtle doors begin to open within us, we are better able to express love and respect for ourselves and for others, and this is but a part of the legacy of the ancient yogis. May we all live to preserve these gifts and blessings, and to learn and share in "The Eight Limbs of Yoga" with friends, family, teachers, and peers.

Om Shanti,

Teresa

No comments: