Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Undivided Attention


I live my life in widening circles that reach out across the world. I may not complete the last one, but I give myself to it. - Ranier Maria Rilke

I really feel that yoga helps us to feel more connected to one another and this in turn helps us to feel more connected to the world around us. Just take a look around the room after a yoga class. For the most part, everyone is calm, peaceful, centered and relaxed ....or maybe really good pretenders ;-)

I think that in general the first thing you can do to connect to someone is give them your undivided attention. I remind myself of this daily as I prepare to teach a yoga class. There are days when I teach several classes throughout the day. I feel that as a yoga teacher it's important that I teach each class as if it's the first and only class for the day. As I'm teaching, I make every effort to teach wholeheartedly and give individual attention to everyone. It doesn't take a whole lot to let someone know that you care. Many times, something as simple as giving your undivided attention will be plenty enough. Give it a try :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sharon...I agree wholeheartedly with your article. I've been to too many classes with a "robotic" instructor. As a student you feel not only connected but safer with a teacher who is paying attention to you. As a teacher you too will get more and learn more from a class in which you engage and embrace your students. Katy
PS...I love the blogs!