Monday, August 15, 2011

ending the clean cleanse + healthy yogi treats

Today marks the "official" closing day of mine and Andy's three week program of eating clean. The end was a challenge, especially with the challenges I was facing last week. By Saturday Andy and I were both ready to eat more than one meal we could actually chew on. In fact he sent me a picture on Saturday declaring, "Clean party is over." In the photo was two of the things he's been craving most...saltine crackers and graham crackers. Weird, I know.

Sunday we ended the clean party with a bang. We went to Magee's and settled in with a book, coffee (for me), and the most delicious donut my mouth had ever tasted. Oh my. We tipped the scale back to balance by having our detox pizza (we love it) with a side salad for lunch, and dinner was delish fruit.

We're both happy that we did the cleanse, and feel really happy with how we did and how we feel. Together we're pondering the changes we want to make and the boundaries we need to have around eating certain things (sugar and dairy especially).

I have made two yummy snacks over the weekend....spicy chickpeas and kale chips. Both are super easy and very tasty. For the chickpeas simply rinse, drain, and place in a pan. Preheat the oven to 425. Toss in the chickpeas + two tablespoons oil (I used olive oil) + 1 tsp coriander, 1/4 tsp cayenne, and 1/4 tsp salt. Swirl it all around in the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool then continue to pop them into your mouth for a spicy snack.
Kale Chips - Wash your kale, tear into pieces, dry, then place in a big bowl. Make sure it's good and dry. Preheat oven to 350. And 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to the kale (I used 2 but could have gotten away with 1 I think). Add either a teaspoon of tamari or some sea salt to the mixture. Evenly coat the kale with the oil and salt. Line a pan with parchment paper, spread out the kale, and bake for 10-15 minutes. They'll burn quickly so keep a close eye. I did tear my kale into pieces that were too small. Next time I'll tear into about 3 inch pieces.

Both are yummy and even Andy agrees. Pssstt, he's totally getting into the "hippie food." ;) Let me know if you try them out!

Happy Monday Friends. Andy and I are off to see the Dominican game at Rupp tonight, so excited!


1 comment:

Erin Koch said...

Thanks for the spicy chickpea snack idea! Nom nom nom...Kale chips are also excellent exactly as described, but with 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (instead of that second tbsp of oil) and a few tbsp of nutritional yeast added to the mix.