Friday, June 10, 2011

on walking


"I will tell you what I have learned myself. For me, a long five or six mile walk helps. And one must go alone every day." Brenda Ueland

Now that the weather is nice and bearable(unlike Winter) I've been out walking as much as I can. On a good day I get in three walks. I aim for at least a walk with the dogs and Andy and a solo walk.

I enjoy walks with the dogs because they love it so and they need the exercise. I love walks with Andy and the dogs. We hold hands and walk down the street into the cemetery and if no one is around the dogs get off their leash. One runs like a wild crazy dog (that would be Remy), the one stays close by and trots at a slow pace alongside us (that would be Bella).

Solo walks are good for me. They are important to me. They are a necessity at this time of year. Walks are time for self care. They are times for reflection. On walks I usually gain insight and new ideas. But that's not my intention.

My intention is mostly to connect. I marvel at the trees. I recite e.e. cummings, "I thank you". I appreciate the sky and the sun. On last nights walk with Remy the sun was setting and it was just the biggest, most round, most perfectly colored Sun. In that moment, everything was perfect.

Sometimes I take my ipod on my walk and I chant and sing to David Newman, Krishna Das, Michael Franti, Bon Jovi, and so on. Most often I prefer to walk without the ipod. Sometimes I feel giddy and I skip. Sometimes I feel sad and I get a lil teary eyed. There is one spot under a tree that at times I will sit, close my eyes, connect to my breath, the grass, and nature around me.

But one thing is for certain, I always finish a walk and feel better. Much like the yoga practice. It's not so much about walking as it is the opportunity to connect with both my inner world and the sweetness of the outer world....grass, trees, sky, sun, clouds, birds. I feel joy and reverence for all of it.

I'm off in the next hour to head to the hills and my home holler to visit with my Fam. Walks will most certainly be a part of my weekend. A hike straight up to the top of the hill then around the mountain for a bit. Walks to and from the family cemetery where my family is buried. Where I will undoubtedly sit and ponder. And connect some more.

Wishing all of you a perfect weekend.

1 comment:

Pilar said...

Sharon, I'm so glad you wrote this. I consider my walks an extension of my yoga practice - a meditation. I'm happy to see that walking means so much to someone else too.