Thursday, June 16, 2011

embracing the new


"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." ~Alan Cohen

I was seated on my yoga mat this morning doing a little physical and mental prep work before teaching my 9:15 class. In walks the first yogini for class. I greet her and she unrolls her yoga mat and proceeds to tell me, "I did something last week for Courage. I've made it my goal to do as least one thing each month for each theme." She continued to tell me that she went rock climbing with her two sons and their friend.

Rock climbing! How freakin' awesome is that? She said she surprised herself. And even has a fear of heights, yet there she was at the Gorge, climbing up and down big ol' rocks.

I felt so happy for her. That she succeeded in surprising herself. That she pushed herself out of her comfort zone. That she overcame a fear. I felt happy that her sons have a Mama this cool. And that they got to share in this experience.

I felt happy that in some small way I got to be a part of inspiring her to flex her courage muscles. I have to admit that sometimes I do wonder, "Are people reading the stuff for the monthly themes. They they like it? Do they even care?

Things like this morning affirm to me that this is a good thing for me, for the students, for the studio. That having a hand full of people doing one thing new and surprising for themselves is super cool and so worth it.

We're now halfway into the month (which I partially feel conflicted about because as much as I can't wait for July because that means Tulum, I also reallly love June. She is green and good and oh so lush). I can hardly believe it. It's still not too late for you to take a risk, to push yourself out of your comfort zone, to overcome a tiny bit o' fear.

Also a good time to reflect on something that is no longer meaningful in our life. Things that were once so important, so big, so meaningful simply may not be true for you anymore. And if so there is certainly something new and adventurous on the other side (giving ourselves permission to define what is new and fabulous and adventurous, because for some of us that may mean taking less trips, taking less risks, and relishing in the present moment).

Lastly, we've got a great group of yogis coming the workshop on this month's theme of Courage this Saturday from 11:00 - 1:00. Let me know if you want to join. Only $15 to explore courage on and off the mat.

No comments: