Wednesday, May 11, 2011

my philosophy of yoga


I believe that yoga helps me to be a better person and gives me the skills and tools to not only take care of my body but also my mind, my heart,my relationships, and the Earth.

I believe that yoga has the capacity to change our relationship to our body, to calm our mind, and to heal our heart.

I believe that being flexible, strong, and balanced on the mat helps us to be flexible, strong, and balanced off the mat.

I believe that yoga can change the world.

I believe that yoga should be accessible for all people in all communities, not reserved for those who wear Lululemon.

I believe that if you do poses over and over in a way not suitable for your body and mind you will hurt yourself.

I believe that the philosophy of yoga is magical and transformative.

I believe that teaching yoga is the best job in the world.

I don't think we can tell how advanced a student is by looking at their pose, for the deeper dimensions of yoga lie within.

I don't subscribe to yoga gurus (sure I do have a yoga crush on Seane Corn but there is no bowing down to). I am my own guru and you are yours.

I don't think there is one right way to practice yoga. I think there are many ways, all leading to the same place.

Connection. Harmony. Joy. Peace.

**This was part of a recent email I sent to a yoga student interested in our Tulum, Mexico Intensive Yoga Teacher Training. She asked about my philosophy of yoga and this is what spilled out as I tapped, tapped away on the keyboard. What a great question, right? I realized it's been a while since I truly pondered the question and I'm planning to spend more time on it and add to this. And the student signed up and is coming to Mexico....awesome! We're about halfway full which is so very thrilling!**

What is your philosophy of yoga?

No comments: