Saturday, November 13, 2010

instructions for living a life


"Instructions for living a life.
Pay attention.
Be astonished.
Tell about it."
~Mary Oliver

I imagine that I've posted this passage here before.
But I've come back to it this week. I've been packing Andy's lunch for him and I even wrote this on a post-it note and stuck it in his lil lunch bag.

Definitely feeling this resonating in a big way in how I relate to writing/blogging. For such a long time, I was a very shielded gal. Being so selective about the parts of me that I would share.

Over the years I've really worked to change this (on being more open).
Why? Because I think that we heal and grow when we share our stories. When we share ourselves. There are a variety of ways to share our stories (that don't include sharing them on the web).

On most days what I share comes from me paying attention, being astonished on some level, and telling about it.

Now I'm thinking of this Mary Oliver passage and how it relates to asana, to the yoga poses that we practice. Over and over.

I'm working to pay even more attention to my body. And choosing to feel astonished by how it works in such a crazy cool magical way.

In the way that it creates me
supports me
holds me
and how it allows me to walk, talk, love, work, play, rest, dance, skip, drive, hike and so on. And on.

If I choose to feel astonished in more moments, how might this transform how I speak to myself and others about my body, my poses, my work, etc.

What if I didn't focus on what I can't do, but what I can do? Not in some sort of egotistical way. But in a way that simply demonstrates who I am and the gifts that I have to share with others. Sharing in a way that feels aligned with body, mind, and heart.

If the nature of spirit is all about the sweetness of life, how can my thoughts, words, and actions lend themselves to the goodness that's available in each and every moment?

How can I pay attention, be atonished, and tell about it more often than not?

And of course my friends I flip those questions back to you.

Happy Saturday.
May it be good.
May you pay attention.
May you be astonished.
May you tell about it.

PS - Photo during gradation ceremony for yoga teacher training in Tulum. Photo taken by the talented Martin Husch.

No comments: