Saturday, October 10, 2009

bff liz


I'm leavin on a jet plane in a few hours. Headin' down south to Florida for a quick trip to the beach. Yep, it's a gal's weekend with my bff Liz. When I celebrated my birthday in May by present from Liz was a weekend getaway. Just she and I. Yes, the best gift ever for a lover of travels (that's me ;).

Liz has been in my life and in my world for nearly 15 years. We were destined to be friends when we became roommates at EKU. We'd never met, spoke on the phone once prior to moving into McGregor Hall. Her first image of me was a high school prom picture of me and my then boyfriend (donning a beaded and sequin dress, big hair, and an even bigger bouquet of Flowers). I remember seeing her huge plastic bin of sweaters (and now knowing her like I do, of course that's a memory I hold as she is quite the lover of Fall and big chunky sweaters).

For five years during college we bonded over bread sticks at the cafeteria, long walks to class (we even had the same major), late nights and cheap beer, breakfast at Frischs, cans of Raviolis, boxes of cereal. It's through Liz that I met Andy. Eternally grateful and happy about this. :)

I'm certain that she knows more embarrassing college stories about me and vice versa. We each had our college moments that are now deeply ingrained in our minds, in our hearts. It was a pivotal time for each of us as we grew into the people we were meant to.

When I moved to Texas for a job after graduate school Liz was the first person to visit a mere three days after I arrived with my parents and a small UHaul that carried the few possesions I had. When I moved back from Texas to KY to embark on a life I wanted to create, Liz flew down and drove one of our cars back.

As we've grown older we've certainly changed. Each of us has given the other space when needed to grow, to heal, to find adventure, or sort through the craziness of life. Across the miles and across the years she's been a mainstay in my life. She's more than a friend. She's a sister. There is something so wonderful, so comforting about having someone in your life that knows you, your stories, your family, your joys, your worries, your struggles and accepts it all with open arms.

Thank you Liz for being you. I'm sooo looking forward to our weekend. Here's to new adventures and stories. Woot Woot!!

*First pic of us in London, England
**Second pic of Liz and my brother's wedding on a farm in VA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make me tear up. Thank you so much for this weekend. I had so much fun and feel so much better.