Friday, September 25, 2009

heart full



Yesterday I taught the gals at Florence Crittenton Home. Or perhaps I should say that they taught me. When I arrived yesterday the babysitter have left for the day. So it was me, some super cute (and tired) teenage gals, and five of the cutest babies I've seen in a while.

The gals impressed me when they stated, "we still want to do yoga and work on some breathing and relaxation." I can now see that even with the supper cute kiddos around they NEEDED this time.

The babies were on there best behaviors at that time so I just suggested that we let them sit in their little bouncy chairs over to the side where we could keep a close eye on them.

We then explored breathing. I let them breathe naturally and study their breath. We then had a conversation about the most effective and efficient was of breathing. We talked about how they could use their breathing in stressful times and how it can help remind them to stay in the present moment.

We sat on the floor, close to one another, legs outstretched and did a few super simple seated poses. I was reminded of how little it was about the stretch and the poses, what they looked like. What they could and couldn't do.

It was so much more about connecting and hoping that in those 45 minuted together I could somehow help them to connect to their beauty, their joy, their gifts, their courage.

I realized that really what I always want to remind and teach myself, students at the studio and pretty much everyone I share is essentially self love. As crazy (and corny) as that might sound. When we let go of the doubts, fears, judgements, and so on we are moving to a place of love. And if self love fills like really big shoes to fill, perhaps we can at least like ourselves for what and who we are today.

So as I drove away from Florence Crittenton Home my heart felt so big and FULL I thought it might explode. My hope is to move forward into my weekend of teaching in Hazard with this heart full ness. Cause I gotta tell ya....it feels pretty damn good. ;)

No comments: