Wednesday, September 16, 2009

enjoying the moment


“Traveler, there is no path. Paths are made by walking.” ~Antonio Machado

It's been a few days since I've visited the blog. I've been out of town teaching a lot, and the act of teaching a lot has led me to spending lots of time outside over the past few days, connecting with people I need to connect with, and unplugging from the computer (with the exception of the online Mondo Beyondo tribe which is so much fun).

On Thursday I left after my morning class to go home (to Perry County) to lead a fall yoga teacher training that is held in Hazard at the college. I got to spend time with my family. Outside of work, I had the pleasure of a date with my mom to the Appalachian Artisan Center & an Amish bulk food store and a date with my 14 year old niece. This included a trip to Wal-Mart and dinner (there wasn't much going on). When did she become a teenager?!

I taught yoga for 23 hours over the course of 2.5 days. It was intense in many ways but so gratifying and exhilarating in others. On my drive home I listened to an Alanis Moriseete song (thanks Brian for including this on your yoga mix and sharing with me). One sentence completely grabbed ahold of me and nearly shook me at the shoulders...

"How about enjoying the moment for once." Ahh thank you Alanis for this. It was just what I needed to snap out of the fretting over the details and the little worries about the group dynamic, the location, and of course me and my abilities.

Ultimately this sentence in this one song reminded to let go of the worries, the fear, the insecurity and rest in a place of knowing, believing, and enjoying. The moment.

I reminded myself that I was fulfilling one of my mondo beyondo dreams. I was doing something that was HUGE and that literally meant so very much to me. Going back home and sharing yoga with this community is beyond words for me. The town in which I grew up (Vicco) now has a population of about 250 people and the annual median income is $13,000. Statistics show that people (my family) in Appalachia do not fare well. They have much stacked against them. There is little health education and tiny emphasis on preventative care. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

This community needs yoga. And I'm lucky enough to play an active part in sharing the teaching of yoga. Yes, finally allowing myself to enjoy the moment for once. And it feels good. Thinking I'll do it a bit more often. :)

No comments: