Thursday, July 30, 2009

what the future holds for tulum


After being surrounded by ten sun goddesses
After ten nights of sleeping by the sea
And fifteen walks on the beach
After twenty two hours of teaching
And four yoga classes taken
After four massages received
One detoxing sweat lodge
And millions of stars to gaze upon

I left Maya Tulum.
Leaving Maya Tulum I look over my right shoulder to soak in the view of the turquoise sea one last time.

I see improvements being made to the road. I see a sidewalk and think to myself, "I don't think that was here last year." I see new eco chic establishments....a coffee shop, a boutique, and a couple new "hotels".

I can see the "progress" being made. My heart aches a tiny bit as I wonder what will become of this beautiful and sacred land in years to come.

Victor, the front desk manager told me that they are building an airport that will be within 45 minutes of Tulum.

Easier access means more people.
More people means money.
More money probably means bigger establishments.

I wonder how long one will be able to see the millions of stars at night.
I wonder how long before the beaches become crowded.
Wonder how long before the bulldozers come and the high rises are built.

But I'll happily take what I've gotten so far. The lessons. The experiences. The healing. The teaching. The laughing. The crying. The simple. And the sacred. It's more than I could have ever hoped for. Enough to last a lifetime.

In the meantime, I'll you'll find me back at Maya Tulum next July. And in all likelihood I'll be back before then. It's my happy place. **This concludes the gushing over Maya Tulum. Thanks for allowing me to indulge!**

No comments: