Wednesday, July 29, 2009

forms of healing at maya tulum

"Maya Tulum is full of wonderful people, healers, and yoga folks who create an atmosphere of kindness, peace and healing. The resort is a place of ease, with delicious, fresh food, experienced bodywork professionals, and beautiful spaces to relax on the beach. Practicing yoga everyday within sight and sound of the ocean was restorative to my mind and body. By the end of the week I was able to find release from my chronic pain."

I was so delighted to see an email from a retreat-ee this morning. Her email got me to thinking about the various forms of healing that one encounters while retreating at Maya Tulum.

There are the obvious things that come to mind....
The healing that simply comes from being with like minded women. As one retreat-ee put it perfectly, "I loved walking into the restaurant and knowing that not only would there always be an open seat at one of the tables, that I would be welcomed with open arms and that I would spend the next hour to three hours conversing with other amazing, extraordinary, powerful women about all of the ways in which they were impacting the world through their teaching, their healing arts, and their vocations." Wow, that is pretty darn cool.

The healing of the yoga practice comes to mind. Getting a whole week, four hours a day to get reacquainted with your body, your breath, your mind and your emotions. Yoga is strong and powerful medicine. Even more strong and powerful in the context of a retreat. And I'm not the only one missing yoga at Maya Tulum...."I am writing this longing to be back in the beautiful round yoga room of Maya Tulum in class with Sharon and all of the very lovely members of the Barefoot Works studio." Ahhh, me too Rebecca. Well not in class with me...but me teaching. Or taking yoga. I'm not picky.

Healing for me took place at the ruins overlooking the sea in Tulum. I've been twice and didn't have the intention of even leaving the resort this trip (just like last year). A small group of the gals were going to the ruins on our free day. I awoke that morning and just had a feeling that I needed to go. So I did. And it was amazing to share the powerful place with the yoginis. But the most healing part took place under a tree during meditation, with little white blooms that lay scattered on the green ground. Yes, very Buddha-esque.

Healing took place in the food. Remember Louise with the sparkly, twinkly eyes? I believe she blessed each dinner. They were that good. And others agree...."I can't possibly say enough about the food: I was amazed by the love that seemed to go into the preparation of each deliciously prepared meal."

Healing took place with the body workers. Who are unbelievable. And amazing. Yeah you've probably heard enough in this area. Remember. We. Heart. Them. All. They pour such love into each and every encounter with you. I walk away every year feeling amazed that they can be that present and that giving when they see what must be thousands of yogis each year. Yet you feel like you are the only one.

Healing took place in the goofy times with new beach buds.

And in the reading and sharing of books.

In the quiet moments on the beach, in the sea, and resting in ones cabana.

Healing took place during the singing and chanting with Pedro.. Joining with those of a different culture, different ages. Yet feeling and knowing that we are ultimately one.

In the walking of a brand new labyrinth at Maya Tulum. Constructed by my new friends from Asheville, NC....Quiana and William.

Healing took place in the sharing of fears and struggles. In the stories of travel, success, life, and love. Healing took place when one became five. Healing the whole person.

Years ago. Before I had a yoga studio. Before I was even a yoga teacher.
I found this space, this place that now feels like home every time I visit.
I didn't find Tulum.
It found me.
So happy that it found these ten gals.

Ahhh, the gushing continues. ;)

No comments: