Sunday, December 14, 2008

the questions

I've had a hard time finding good time to blog over the last couple of weeks so I'm starting a weekly ritual of sorts. Asking myself some questions that will require some thought on my part.

The questions are: What sacred me? What excited me? And what renewed me? All applying to this past week. So here goes......

What scared me?

~Job scares. First a family member that works at Toyota, then Andy got wind of budget cuts statewide for education. Both are good for now. It's just scary and sad when you start feeling the effects of what's going on with the economy. BIG deep breaths for all of us.

~This week was the first time that I got really nervous about the unfolding of the new yoga studio. I kept looking at my planner and counting down the days till the new year which was about the time I had originally planned to open. But when you throw Christmas in there, the new year, and a trip to Mexico....well the days dwindle down really quickly.

A few of you probably noticed it when you asked me about the opening of the new place and there was this hesitation of my part.

It took a good glass of wine and my dear yoga friend Shelli to help me to see the light. So I'm not rushing the process and I'm not going to stress myself out over the holidays and during my trip to Mexico (which is meant to be a reward and a time to chill).

So opening of the new studio.....terribly scary, but more exciting. Which leads us to the next question.

What excited me?
~We started putting the floor down at the studio! Yeah! The same thing that scared me most also excited me the most. Isn't that crazy! Life. We all signed the bare floor for when it's one day famous. Or at least my yoga crush Seane comes and leads a workshop. :-) Now it's starting to "feel" like a yoga studio to me. Thanks to my brother-in-law Harold we got almost half of it finished over Friday and Saturday. He assures me that it will be down by this time next weekend. I've recruited more handy siblings and family members to help. Thank god for good family. Zach really enjoyed sliding on the new floor and playing with his monster truck.

~After coming back from our trip to Nashville I also decided to add an accent wall at the new studio. We already had the walls painted "belgian waffle" so we went back over one wall and now have some "chocolate waffle" on the walls too. Sure it added a bit more work on my (and poor Andy's part) but I'm really lovin' it! You can see it in the pic above.

~I got a couple gifts at the studio this week that was exciting.....thanks Irene for the yummy peppermint bark and thanks to Lucy (one of me sweet private gals) for the beautiful flower on the front desk. Tis the season!

~We also got our first order of long sleeve tees in at the studio. They're super cute with words on the front and logo on the back. Phrases on the front include:
~Spiritual Cowgirl (my fave)
~My Yoga Tribe
~Follow Your Heart (with an outline of a heart instead of the word)
~Fun Freedom Flow (which is what we aim to do at Barefoot Works)

I love teaching a class and looking out and seeing someone sportin' a barefoot works tee. Very exciting for me.

Sizes small through xl are available. The shirts are affordable at $26 (plus tax). If we don't have your size in a particular shirt, let your teacher know and we'll be happy to order it next time.

What renewed me?

~Andy and I took a few hours this week to put a tree and a few decorations up. We didn't go all out like we have in past years, but it was enough to put a smile on my face and get me in the spirit of the holiday.

~This short and sweet blog post from my friend Leigh Ann.

~This video on youtube.

~Sarah taught the most wonderful restorative yoga workshop last week. She is such a great teacher and I'm hearing that more and more often these days. I got to be the helper bee while Sarah taught. It was very rewarding to step back, assist in helping people get cozy in their postures, and to witness Sarah share her gift of yoga and teaching. In between postures I sat in the back, halfway meditating, halfway listening, but mostly just feeling the goodness of the people and the little place known as Barefoot Works.

That's my week! Feel free to play along with the questions on your own blog (or facebook page) and share with me if you do so!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Sharon - I love your openness! What a great reflection. I think that the new studio is coming along beautifully, and I appreciate all your hard work!