Friday, November 28, 2008

happy day

I have to say that Thanksgiving continues to be my favorite holiday of all. While Andy drove us home to Vicco yesterday morning I was a happy gal to sit next to him reading my new book Juicy Pens Thirsty Paper by Sark. And as I expected, I love this book as I love all of her books. There is even a section with Brian Andreas, creator of Storypeople, which I also love. Here's the pic of it....

We got to my house around 11:30 and the cooking was in full swing. I did my part by making the mashed potatoes, macaroni casserole, and peanut butter fudge (oh my gosh my mom makes the BEST pb fudge). My mom was happy as a hen having all five of her kids bustling about. You get the whole group together and it is luscious chaos....but still chaos. A conversation here, laughing there, wrestling and running everywhere. It's all very casual which I love. There really aren't any rules and let's just say that many completely inappropriate conversations take place around the table. Again, I wouldn't have it any other way. Years ago yes, but today, absolutely not.

We ate too much, then stepped out the door to take "our" hike that we always took as kids. I forget how wonderful it is having nature right out your back door. Hills to walk, many trees to climb. And so many leaves around. I loved the rustle beneath my feet. We studied the sumac tree, tasted the persimmon, jumped mud puddles, slid down the mountain (not on purpose), and investigated the old family cemetery high in the mountains. My brother put it perfectly when he said it was a "magical" hike. It was quite perfect.

The evening was topped off with hot cranberry cider (with a hint of gin), old jazz records, and recaps of the day. Good food, good family, good times.


2 comments:

Emily said...

It looks like you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Gotta love all those "inappropriate conversations" at family gatherings..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving! Never had cranberry cider, sounds yummy - especially spiked!
Loved seeing the pics of you hike, it is beautiful there!
I am going to have to get a copy of the book you were reading on the way home. But I am also going to have to have a conversation with you about riding with your feet on the dashboard young lady! Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?! Sorry, the Mom in me came out for a minute!!!
Hugs!
Irene