Wednesday, May 14, 2008

hope and fear


Interesting thought shared by Pema Chodron....

"In the world of hope and fear, we always have to change the channel, change the temperature, change the music, because something is getting uneasy, something is getting restless, something is beginning to hurt, and we keep looking for alternatives.

Hope and fear come from a feeling that we lack something; they come from a sense of poverty. We can't simply relax with ourselves. We hold onto hope, and hope robs us of the present moment. We feel that someone else knows what's going on, but that there's something missing in us, and therefore something is lacking in our world."

Given my post(to hope)from just a couple days ago, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. It does stir me a little, makes me a tad uncomfortable to read so I'll have to sit with it a while and see how I feel.

Andy always gets to be entertained or en-light-ed by my new reads. I say "Oooh, listen to this paragraph, this is huge." He listens. Then he might come back with "Can't you just read something silly, like Bushisms for once."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's not that we have to have "more", but that we want to experience it all - to explore all we can. Maybe not fear, but anticipation of the unknown, the excitment of something new - maybe, ya think?
Just a thought.........
imb