Monday, May 07, 2007

putting it out there

My friend called me yesterday from Park City, Utah and the first thing she says to me is "If you don't start matting and selling your pictures, then I'm gonna do it for you." My response, "Well hi to you too." She went on to inform me that she had been to several galleries and saw some really beautiful photographs, but that mine were equally as good (and that's a bit of a challenge for me to write). She's been trying to get me enter contests and do this sort of thing for a while. I think that she believes in me and my talent (again, hard to write) more than I do. She even has a whole room that's filled with landscape photos that I've taken. And I even admit that "Hey, those look pretty darn good all grouped together."

I told her that I was still "honing" my skills. She said that I've been "honing" my skills for a while. And she's right. I've loved taking pictures since college and have become a little obsessed over the past five years. I guess my way of thinking is "Why would anyone want to pay for my photo, or pay me to take their photo." I think that to a certain degree, we are all insecure about ourselves. And I guess that at this point, I'm not totally sure of my abilities.

Over the past couple weeks several people have specifically commented on my photos. I'm taking it as a "sign" of some sort. Maybe the universe is telling me something that I refuse to tell myself. I'm going to make a strong effort to get more of my photos out there...in the universe, guess I'll start with KY ;-) Maybe work on a portfolio or getting a website together.

So here it goes (in my most confident, self assured voice)...if you know anybody that wants or needs their photo taken, send them my way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a person who loves photography as you do, I think your photos are quite good!

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you have finally listened to me! I think you do amazing things. I'm proud of you.

Anonymous said...

See, see?! What did I tell you! I'm glad you are going to branch out with your photography. You'll find many avenues for your work. Congrats on recognizing and acknowledgeing your great talent! Sometimes you just have to "be still" for a while and it all works out!
Hugs!

jaime said...

I LOVE the pic you have here. In addition to a website, KY has a lot of art festivals that you could use as a venue for making your work available to the public. Places like Barnes and Nobles also display local artist's work in their cafes. You really do need to share your artwork with the world - it's so beautiful!

Sharon Tessandori said...

Thanks, you guys are very kind. Thanks for the encouragement :-)