Wednesday, February 22, 2012

right brainers in business video summit


Beginning next week Jenn will be hosting The Right Brainers in Business Video Summit. She'll be interviewing wonderfully creative entrepreneurs experts in their field. I'm so excited to be featured in a show and tell spotlight next Tuesday on Feb. 28

Check out all the details for the Video Summit here: http://rightbrainersinbusiness.com/

Jenn was gracious enough to answer a few questions I asked her. I hope you enjoy!

Jenn, I know you're in the yoga world. You've completed a yoga teacher training, have led the Dream Box workshop at yoga trainings, and you're a yoga practitioner. How does your yoga practice help you with the creative process?
Yoga connects back to my inner wisdom. It helps me slow down and become more present. Lately due to a back injury, I've had to forgo my love of rigorous Ashtanga and opt for a more gentle home practice. It's been teaching me to be compassionate with myself, to listen to what my body needs, and to find more ease. That's certainly helped me when it comes to my creativity, too, by reminding me to hold the creative process lightly. I can't force inspiration to come. I have to slow down and pay attention to what my inner muse is telling me.


How did you feel when you left your very secure job to pursue your dreams?

It took me three years to build up the courage to finally leave my 10-year corporate career. When I was ready to leave I had reached my wits end trying to force myself to do work that didn't speak to my heart. Just even being in the office I could feel the soul being sucked out of me. While it was scary to jump into the unknown, I did know it was time! One of the things that helped during that transition was building a support network of other creative entrepreneurs who were also pursuing their passions. It made me feel like I wasn't alone and it helped me to stay inspired even when things were challenging.



You're clearly a girl on the go! What do you do for your own self care?

I practice what I call self-care Fridays. I like having a free day to totally focus on my own creativity, creative projects, or focus on nourishing things like naps or reading in my hammock when it's nice outside. I clear my calendar of any meetings (except with my hairstylist, massage therapist, the local nail shop, my inner muse and/or friends). I've learned that it's okay to say no sometimes. My latest self-care practice has been whipping up green smoothies. I love them!


What's the best piece of advice you've been given?
In high school, my speech coach encouraged me to "Be BIG!" To trust in myself, project my naturally quiet voice, and even take a more powerful physical stance when I was doing my speeches. It's one of those lessons that continues to translate into so many other areas of my life all these years later. Certainly being a creative entrepreneur requires me to trust myself and to allow myself to take up space and be seen. It's still a growing edge and I'm always reminded of how he championed me to own my gifts.


What makes you feel most alive?
Being in touch with my creativity definitely makes me feel most alive. So does being surrounded by nature and beauty.


Thanks Jenn! If you're feeling inspired then join Jenn on the Video Summit. Really and truly the speakers are just phenomenal. That link is: http://rightbrainersinbusiness.com/

If you're interested in joining me for the day and doing The Right Brain Business Workshop and doing more of what you love then click here: http://barefootworks.com/rightbrain_business_plan.html


I'm feeling excited about so much greatness coming up.

No comments: