Wednesday, May 12, 2010

how knowing my values helped me make a big decision



I've been debating on something for a couple of weeks now and still hadn't come up with a clear answer until today.


I tried all of my "old" tricks for making decisions....

Getting input from trusted people that know, love, and support me.

Setting an intention of getting clarity during my yoga practices.

Meditating on it.

Making a list of the pro's and con's.

Journaling about it.

Asking the universe for a sign, then flipping open a book and seeing what I land on (I know you've tried this?!).

Nothing seemed to be working. I still couldn't make a decision.

At 6:30 this morning I was up in my yoga room at home. Incense and candle lit, a soft glow just outside my window, nice soothing music playing in the background. It was a beautiful morning, a beautiful moment. I glanced over at one of the few items in my yoga room, my vision board.

I scanned the images and the words, all of which have some sort of meaning for me. Then I asked myself, "Is this the right time to embark on a new training?"

One at a time my eyes landed on the values that I identified for myself the last time I retreated to Tulum, Mexico. I saw them there on my board....

personal growth
wisdom
service
spirit
freedom
abundance
creativity

I thought again about my desire to learn, study, and practice Ayurveda (the science of life, also known as the sister science of yoga).

One by one I went through these values that I had identified for myself. I got a clear "Yes" on each one. Becoming a student of Ayurveda aligns with each of these values. I love how these values are a compass of sorts for me. As I'm navigating life and making decisions I keep coming back to them and they continue to guide me.


I just sent my application in to the California College of Ayurveda. If accepted I'll be participating in distance learning and hands on training that equals 545 hours of study. I'm super excited in taking this next step and learning even more about the "whole" person - physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually and how creating harmony and balance with each leads to a vibrant and healthy life. And of course I can't wait to share what I'm learning with all of you!

PS - Above pics of me and my friend Debra in Tulum, writing our biggie word in the sand.

PSS - If this sounds like something of value to you, join me this Saturday from 11:00-2:00 and explore your own values!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Congratulations on following your heart and your values to this path! I can't wait to hear more about what you'll be learning and doing in the program. Sorry I can't make any of the upcoming workshops -- they all sound amazing.