Wednesday, March 03, 2010

spring into yoga!


I attended an ayurvedic immersion a couple weeks ago in Arizona and was in the company of many great teachers. Students have asked me what the biggest thing I took away was.

It was a hard question. There were so many great ayurvedic sessions, the yoga classes were inspiring, and the twice daily meditation sessions were like medicine for my soul.

Pinning it down to one big Aha seems impossible. Put the following are some highlights

I really enjoyed the idea of what David Simon calls the Inner Pharmacy (click here to hear David talk about it). I find it so valuable to learn how I can make better decisions about the types of foods I eat daily. I love how ayurveda views the environment as an extension of our physical body. So simple, yet so brilliant. And simply being in the presence of all different types of people and professionals....everything from doctors to yogis to energy healers left me feeling hopeful about the future of our society's health.

The poem above by Hafiz was shared during a session. I quickly remembered why I love it so. To me it sums up what I strive for daily, as often as I can.

To give of myself to others in a way that I hope makes a teeny tiny difference. I teach yoga because I love how it encourages us to physically and emotionally open our hearts to accept ourselves more fully. To embrace those that have different thoughts and beliefs. To bring intimacy to our relationships. To look a stranger in the eye and see them as an extension of ourselves. To bridge the disconnect that so many of us feel.

For us as yogis and human beings, to give without expecting anything in return is a beautiful thought. To give like the sun, light up our own world, and be a light to others. That's powerful.

May the sun warm your face and shine light into your soul. :)

Happy Spring,
Sharon

No comments: