Tuesday, March 23, 2010

a whole lotta uproar


I'm hearing so many people share their thoughts and opinions about the recent passing of the health bill. Some joyous, some scared. I'll spare you my thoughts on the bill and share a yoga sutra that I find really helpful much of the time. I think this could be one of those times.

Yoga Sutra 1.33
In daily life we see people around who are happier than we are, people who are less happy. Some may be doing praiseworthy things and others causing problems. Whatever may be our usual attitude toward such people and their actions, if we can be pleased with others who are happier than ourselves, compassionate toward those who are unhappy, joyful with those doing those praiseworthy things, and remain undisturbed by the errors of others, our mind will be very tranquil.


Translation by T.K.V. Desikachar, found in “The Heart of Yoga”

This is my most favorite of the yogs sutras. I see such wisdom in this statement and I love it because we're offered a practical (and healthy) way to deal with people and relationships.

Happy Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

This is my favorite translation (of those I've read) of sutra 1.33. When we're down it can be hard to allow that other people are happy or doing good things, and when we're up and on our mark, it's so easy to look down on those who aren't.

But I think the key here is to "remain undisturbed by the errors of others" because what we might consider "errors" is sometimes subjective. In this time of political change, it is so very important to stay tranquil and allow others their free speech and opinions.

Sharon Tessandori said...

Thanks for your insight Jeanne. I so appreciate it. :)