Friday, April 24, 2009

remembering


I remember my first yoga class, or what I consider my first "real" yoga class. The timing was right. Something in the universe was propelling me in the direction of a yoga mat. That much I am certain of. I did something I wasn't doing a whole lot at that time.....I listened.

I made the call to make a reservation. I like many who frequent the studio for the first time had no clue exactly how all this yoga stuff worked. Sure I was fit. I had been going to the local YMCA for a couple years. But one never really knows exactly what happens inside the doors of a yoga studio.

Crazy thoughts ran their course through my mind....
Will I have to chant things I wont understand?
Will I look silly trying to contort my body in ways it will not want to go?
Will I be the only newbie? Or will there be others like me?

At the studio I was greeted by a nice gal and surprise....I was surrounded by many other people just like me! Imagine that.

All new people at this studio were required to attend a free introduction to yoga class. It was actually a lecture/discussion and a chance for us to ask questions. Like, will I have to chant things I don't understand?

I was convinced and signed on. I attended my first yoga class that same night.

And you know what? I don't recall a single thing that we practiced. Not even one. I am sure there were some triangles and tree poses. But that's not what stands out in my mind.

The memory that I most vividly recall was how connected I felt to my body, my breath. I experienced a certain amount of acceptance. Of everything. All of a sudden this little yoga mat became a safe place that I could bring my confusion, pain, and fear. As well as my hopes, dreams, and joys.

I felt a great love affair from this very first class. Yoga did for me what kickboxing, spinning, aerobics, and running on a treadmill could never do. Yoga guided me to a place of stillness and awe where I could listen, learn, and fall in love with my body, breath and soul.

I just realized today that I've now been teaching yoga longer than I worked at my "real day job" post graduate school. That is a very cool feeling. I'm going on five years of teaching. And the love affair continues.

PS - I'll be away being a student of yoga till next Wednesday. Very excited to be away learning Yoga Anatomy with Judith Lasater. I'll be communicating via Twitter. Join me here.

No comments: