Sunday, December 16, 2012

the possibility of words

Just when I didn't think I coud adore Misty Pittman any more....she goes and woos me with her words. Inspiring thing she is....Enjoy Friends & Yogis.
 
Words sure are a funny little thing.
 
I’m ending this month by reflecting on the past year, on all the great moments and not so great moments. I’ve celebrated. I’ve let go. And now I’m giving thanks. I would like to share with you one of the funny little things I am thankful for, for it has helped lead me to exactly where I am today.
 
Who here has read this blog, word for word, beginning to present? Is that a weird thing to do? ‘Cause that is exactly what I did about 2 ½ years ago. I can’t remember how it started. I had taken classes at Barefoot Works, back when it was a teeny, tiny studio across the road. At this particular time, though, I was not a student and it had been a couple years since I had stepped foot on my yoga mat. Somehow I started reading Sharon’s blog. I read it the way some people read gossip magazines. I was hooked and would sit on the couch and scroll from entry to entry on my BlackBerry. I would sit at stoplights and speed read through the next story.
 
 
It could have been anyone’s blog. I didn’t know the author personally. I was enamored with the little life I saw being carved out for this person. And I was excited. Excited because I started to envision so much possibility for my own life. Here was this regular ol’ gal from the mountains of Kentucky, chasing her dreams, and living to tell the tale. My rogue free spirit was hooked. Life started to roll.
 
One persons public journal led me on a journey I didn't think was possible.
 
So what happened? Well, my husband called Sharon, purchased a month of yoga classes for me, and told her about my little blog reading obsession. I was mortified, btw.
 
I started exploring yoga in a much deeper way then I was used to and I was in love. I was sure I wanted to teach yoga. I had dreamed of it for a long time, along with being a massage therapist, bookstore owner, and seller of homemade tomato sauce at the farmer’s market. In essence, I dream of being self-employed.
 
I put off a teacher training opportunity. And then another. And then another. Many excuses, many reasons. I was getting ready to put off another, sure that it was impossible. Somehow it wasn’t. Even after sending my confirmation email, I wasn’t sure I was doing the right thing. Cold feet? Big time.
 
Fast forward and now I’m teaching yoga classes. With real yoga students. I’m slowly conquering my biggest fear (public speaking) and my confidence is growing daily. I see myself in a whole new light.
 
And this blog that I am so thankful for? I still read it faithfully. And I even get to guest post from time to time.
 
Words sure are a funny little thing.

No comments: