Friday, November 09, 2012

being in the moment


"Ten thousand flowers in spring,
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life." Wu Men

This week for my classes I focused on mindfulness, on the present moment. We used the senses as tools in asana (postures) to be in the Now.

But you can do it anywhere and anytime. Shall we play right now?

Look around and observe what you see. I'm sitting at Starbucks. I see the table scattered with my belongings....mug, cell phone, keys, notebook, pen, book. I see a blue sky. And traffic moving up and down Nicholasville Rd.

What do you hear? I hear jazz music, the sound of a cash register, people chatting, mugs clunking, the sound of computer keys as I type these words.

What do you smell? I smell coffee. Delicious coffee.

Any tastes lingering in your mouth? More delicious coffee.

What do you feel? I feel my seat and legs touching a wood chair. One foots rests on the floor. I notice my shoulders feel tight. My breathing feels restricted around my chest.

Our tendency will be to create stories about our observations.

Why do my shoulders feel tight?
How can I make it go away?
I should spend more time in yoga on my shoulders.
I wonder where those people are going.
I need to go to the grocery story.
But I don't feel like it.
Gosh, I hate it when I don't feel motivated.
Maybe I should do more yoga.
My teacher says yoga makes everything better.
Oh wait, I'm supposed to be in the moment.
I'm terrible at this.

So please, I invite you to pick a sense, any sense and come to it throughout your day.

There is value in asking important questions and reflecting.
There is a time to plan and make a to-do list.
There is a time to learn from the past and plants seeds for the future.
There is a time to receive the beauty, the boredom,the sweetness, the sorrow we are feeling in the moment.
There is a time just to Be.

Maybe that moment is now.


No comments: