Thursday, February 11, 2010

on balance & happiness....purusharthas



How the last week looked in the areas of duty, prosperity, pleasure and liberation:

Dharma (duty):
*date/gathering with BW's teachers
*taught the girls at Florrence Crittenton Home
*reviewed quizzes and writing assignments from yoga teacher training
*made the agonizing decision to cancel yoga teacher training Saturday session
*begin to coordinate make-up time with trainees
*plan week
*schedule and have lunch with college professor/mentor
*work on, complete, email monthly newsletter
*inquire about yoga shirts for special Haiti class
*meet with Meredith, discuss and plan yoga for teens class
*make-up four hours of yoga teacher training
*secure a knitting date and host

Artha (prosperity)
*more quality time with quickbooks
*many emails to try and secure a date for fall retreat
*cancellation policies for retreats, workshops, yoga teacher training on the website
*purchase and set up studio printer
*update and have new class schedules printed
*purchase supplies for the studio
*do teacher payroll
*secure subs for time I'm away
*create contract for studio rental
*put details for more workshops in mindbody software
*work on updating ad for natural awakenings
*begin working with Retta to create stuff to advertise for tulum retreat
*work with my life coach to come and present for yoga teacher training and yoga teachers (she's a yoga teacher too!)
*talk with Barb at Snug Hollow about a one day spring yoga retreat

Kama (pleasure)
*cook delicious new soup from Snug Hollow cookbook
*dinner with brother and sister-n-law
*get 3 new books in the mail
*meet mentor for lunch
*purchase a new purse that makes me very happy
*go to a hockey game with the Tessandori's
*reading on the ebook
*andy and I have breakfast with friends
*monday....everything is great fun
*solo coffee date with new purse and books

Moksha (liberation)
*yoga class with Jeanne
*journaling
*self inquiry with new/fresh dreams
*sit with discomfort....but only a couple of times. so tough for me.
*coffee date with brother to talk about things we want to do this year

In looking back over the past week, the **thing** that stands out the most is a conversation I had with my professor/mentor about taking risks. I explained to him that I felt like it's been a while since I've done just that and I was feeling a pull towards that.

Later on I sat down and wrote in my journal a little outline of the biggest risks I've taken over the last few years:

2004 - put house up for sell in TX, quit job and move back to KY, do first teacher training, form Barefoot Works as a LLC and start teaching yoga
2005 - Complete 2nd yoga teacher training. Teaching yoga in central and Eastern KY.
2006 - Start looking at spaces for studio, decide on Patchen Village. Do all the renovations. Barefoot Works has a home. Teach all classes except one.
2007 - Lead 1st international yoga retreat. Still teach all classes but one. Upgrade from all things "paper" to mindbody software.
2008 - Lead first 200 hour yoga teacher training. Have more teachers to teach. Slowly begin to pass classes to other teachers.
2009 - Move studio across street. Quadruple the size. Do more renovations. Fall madly in love with new space.
2010 - ??????

That's where I am. Dreaming about the next risk to take! It's exciting. Fun. And scary. I'm certain it's not opening a second studio location. Doesnt' feel right, right now. I love to be a teacher of yoga, not be an administrator of yoga. The wheels are turning and I have a few ideas.

Inviting you to grab a pen, and make note of the risks you've taken over the years. Big and small. You might surprise yourself by what you discover!

3 comments:

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...

Sharon, I love how you reflected on all the risks you took over the past several years... WOW! (Now I want to start my own list too). And look at the outcomes - it would make anyone proud! On your next risk... go for it!

Mia (Savor Everyday) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mia (Savor Everyday) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.