Thursday, June 12, 2008

this morning


I left the house a few minutes earlier this morning and I was glad I did. I had my camera with me and pulled off the road a few times to take some pictures. I love the little country road that I drive from my house to Tates Creek. It's little. It twists and turns. Sometimes the road winds around so much that I accidentally turn my signal on thinking I'm turning. There are no painted lines on the road. There are places that you have to stop, pull over and wait to let the oncoming car pass you. As a gal from eastern KY I can appreciate that. I find that in the waiting theres a lesson to learn about patience and slowing slow. I lift my arm and signal a friendly wave to the passing cars.

I ask myself why this is done on back roads and in small towns. Why we give a wave of the hand or a nod of the head (you know what I'm talking about).

When did we get into such a hurry that we can't take two moments to acknowledge another?

When did we get so disconnected?

Then I remind myself that rather than dwelling on the disconnect I can focus on connecting with those that I encounter....Those that I order from at restaurants, those that I teach, those that try to sell me advertising, those that deliver my mail, and yes those that I pass on the road.

I figure that if yoga is really about union, and union is all about connection....I should at the very least attempt to be present with all those I encounter.

Then I see a pretty barn and I notice how green the grass is and how blue the sky is. I hop out of my car and take two moments to capture it. To remember how pretty this morning is.

No comments: