Thursday, January 17, 2013

yoga friends forever

Gotta love Misty Pittman for keeping it real. Cheers to more giggles.

 
Pre-Yoga certification days, back when I was "just" a student, I used to love it when teachers would come to class to practice.  To see them wobble in tree or skip a vinyasa flow to rest in a child's pose made them more "human".  It reminded me that there is no such thing as perfection and it helped me to relax into my own imperfections.

So I was caught a little off guard when I came to class recently and noticed that some of the students were quietly setting up their yoga mats behind me.  Nervous giggles erupted as they told me that they did not want to practice next to the yoga teacher.  I joked back that every time I was in downward dog, I would be watching them.  More nervous giggles.

I assure you, fellow students, that there is no need to be shy.  In fact, it is likely the practicing yoga teacher that is feeling nervous because we surely place unrealistic expectations on ourselves. 

 Some of the things that I struggle with?

I fall out of tree.  All.  The.  Time.  I can't step my left foot between my hands from downward dog.  I lose my balance when I come up into crescent.  I need to sit on a lot of blankets to bring my knees level with my hips.  I have never been able to push up from chaturanga to up dog.  I don't stand on my head without a wall.  I hate chair pose (who doesn't?).  My heels don't touch the floor in downward dog.  Hip openers frustrate me. 

And none of that matters.  I'm here to have fun and I want to have fun with you!

So please please please roll your yoga mat next to mine.  I would love to have a vinyasa buddy.  And when we both fall out of tree, we can giggle together.

2 comments:

Beach Yogi said...

I love that you keep it so real Misty! I completely relate to every single word. Thank you!

Beach Yogi said...

I love that you keep it real Misty! I completely relate to every word. Thank you.