Saturday, July 26, 2008

come on in



This is my special place.
One of my happiest places.
In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that Maya Tulum and my yoga room are the two places I enjoy my yoga practice most of all.

My room room is small. Teeny Tiny. And I love that I feel a bit enclosed in it. Like big comforting arms, it wraps me up and engulfs me and my little magic mat. I can almost touch the ceiling when I stretch my arms overhead in starting my sun salutations. The windows are almost as tall as I am and just beyond the window is a big old tree that I can reach out and touch the green leaves. The smallness of the room and the big tree almost make me feel like I'm practicing in a tree house. And I love the thought of that.

My yoga room is the only room in the house that is sparse in decoration and "things" in general. Nothing hanging on the walls. The only piece of furniture is a small battered table that holds items dear to me. Rocks with the words "peace" and "joy", incense, a lotus candle, and seashell. A grasshopper made with a palm leaf on the beach of Tulum by a security guard. The walls are painted a soft shade of green. In fact it's one of the shades at the studio. Unlike other areas, there are few books and papers scattered about. As an open self help junkie, I do have the book "You Can Heal Your Life" and a journal that I record affirmations. To a stranger it might feel less than lived in. But that couldn't be further from the truth.

It's in this room, this space that I set my personal intentions.
I come here when I'm feeling hopeful and when I'm feeling lost.
I come here when I'm feeling joyous and when I'm feeling sadness.
My hopes and dreams and contained within these four walls.

I come here to sweat (as you can see in the photo ;-).
I come here to relax.
I come here to meditate.
I come here to breathe.
I simply come here just to be.

1 comment:

Erika said...

love this pic of you! If I lived in KY I would so be a student at Barefoot Works! Im so proud of you! I can't believe it has been open almost 2 years. You are living your dream, and you are such an inspiration. LIke my own personal SARK! I love reading your words on your blog! I need to come everyday to get filled up on your wisdom!