Friday, April 11, 2008

progress

"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away"

John Prine

I'll be driving through the mountains of my home later today on my way to Asheville for a fun trip with my brother and sister. But it never fails that I get a little sad when I see all the destruction and chaos that's going on.

In one direction you see the most beautiful, unruly, and majestic hills.

And then you see this.

And then you see a sign like this that reads DANGER.
Danger for you and me.
Danger for the plants, animals and the trees.

But no sadness today...cause I'm going to one of my most fave places with two of my most fave people. Happy, Happy Day!

May each of you have a weekend filled with joy and delight. :-)

No comments: