Friday, December 01, 2006

Yogi of the Month - Eric Simon


I think it was an event in seventh grade that eventually let me to yoga. During a music class at school my music instructor decided that my class was not relaxing enough and had us all lie on the ground. She began by instructing us, “Breathe in and tighten your legs. As you exhale relax any tension in your legs and feel the stress in your body leaving.” As I continued to scan though my body I was amazed at how relaxed and peaceful I felt. Repeating this relaxation became a common occurrence for me over the next few years, especially after tough days. Some of my happiest moments in life occurred during these periods of relaxation and I soon began to wonder if there was more to this than my music teacher had taught


My senior year of high school one of my classmates gave a presentation on yoga and I found myself thinking that this is something I need to try. I asked my classmate how she had started practicing yoga and she gave me several videos and books to start with. I instantly loved yoga. Yoga was a challenge physically and most importantly expanded upon the relaxation exercise I had learned from my music instructor years before. I continued a home practice of yoga for about a year and then found an Iyengar studio near me where I practiced for a short time. However, my practice gradually diminished as an undergrad at college mostly due to a lack of personal space and not having the money to attend a studio.


Upon moving to Lexington for graduate school at UK I decided I wanted to revive my practice and started looked around for a studio. After looking around for a bit I eventually arrived at Barefoot Works and I have loved it here. Barefoot Works has quickly became like a home away from home to me and I would like to give thanks to everyone involved in it: Sharon, your courage in finding what you want to do in life and doing it is an inspiration. Leigh Ann, you are wonderful at explaining poses and their niceties (although I am not always flexible enough to do them!). I appreciate all of the guidance you both (and Teresa!) give me. To all my fellow students: you make Barefoot Works a warm and inviting place that I look forward to visiting as often as I can.

No comments: