Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Yearning for Yin


This has been one busy summer. I've been traveling like crazy working with my brother and his environmental consulting company. While it's been great fun spending so much time in the mountains of West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky, it's also been quite exhausting. And of course,I've been busy planning all the details of the yoga studio which has simply been a dream come true. All of the traveling combined with intense work and life changing decisions has left me a little mentally and physically exhausted. My body and my mind have been racing from one place to the next.
Luckily for me, I had the perfect remedy, yin yoga. Most styles of yoga are yang in nature, they focus on the muscle tissue. The focus of yin yoga is the connective tissue. Poses are passive and focus mostly on the hips, pelvis, lower back, and knees. Poses are done primarily on the floor and are held from 3 to 5 minutes, plenty enough time for you to relax into the pose. Yin yoga is known as "a quiet practice" and it said to be the bridge between between a hatha yoga practice and seated meditation. So for me it's been the recent practice of choice, allowing me to relax and unwind my mind. I always finish my practice feeling refreshed and renewed and ready to tackle the world. Who can ask for more?!

You'll get a chance to experience yin yoga at the studio and I'm also in the process of scheduling a yin yoga workshop with my teacher, Anna Ferguson. Stay tuned for details. In the meantime visit wwww.paulgrilleyyoga.com for additional details on yin yoga.

No comments: