Friday, August 25, 2006

What's Your Story

Everybody has a story. I am especially interested in hearing how great business names came about. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to name my yoga studio. Afterall, it is a big deal. After much thought and consideration, I decided on Barefoot Works. It embodied everything I was looking for in a business name. It was modern, fun, free and to me there is nothing better than roaming around with no shoes on. And of course, there's the obvious, yoga is done in your bare feet. But Barefoot Works is more than a cute and clever name. Theres actually a story behind it and I have to admit that it was pure delight sitting down and writing the short story of Barefoot Works. Enjoy...

Why Barefoot Works

When I was a young girl growing up in a rural area of Eastern Kentucky, my siblings and I could step out of our front door and into an untamed world of magic and imagination. Countless days and times, we would come home from school, run onto the front porch just to take our shoes off and escape outside for hours. Walking barefoot with the soft moist grass beneath my feet was a joyful experience that allowed me to feel complete freedom. My siblings and I were more at home in nature than our own home. We were completely surrounded by the most magnificent mountains and it was here that we learned that we could do anything and be anybody. We set forth with impossible challenges, risked everything, and always played for keeps.

Years later I stumbled upon yoga. In a yoga class just outside of Houston, I took my shoes off and for an hour and a half I stretched, twisted, and balanced on my bare feet. It was here on my yoga mat, that once again I discovered the same blissful barefoot freedom that I had experienced in my younger years. Yoga is a creative and joyful expression that nurtures my body, mind and spirit, much like the mountains of eastern Kentucky. Upon returning to Kentucky, I made a decision that I would find a way to share my love of yoga with others. This creative vision resulted in Barefoot Works. A yoga studio that is designed in an environmentally friendly fashion with cork floor, low VOC paints, bamboo rugs, soy candles, recycled products and plants to help clean the air and add a bit of nature. I invite you into a space where I hope you can rediscover your very own barefoot bliss.




No comments: