Tuesday, July 22, 2014

instructing from within



Good Tuesday to you. I hope you are feeling good in your body and breath this morning. I just returned from an epic road trip to Oklahoma City for a wedding. With a nine month old babe and all! Shew. Glad to be home. I am attempting to get back in the groove with both family and work, with ease and joy. So far so good!
 
This morning I'm gathering my notes, resources, thoughts, and books as I refine my teachings for a retreat I'm co-leading next weekend in Asheville (pssst, there is still one or two spots open, details here. )

I wanted to share with you this poem by Mark Nepo that I'll be sharing::

The Appointment

What if, on the first sunny day,
on your way to work, a colorful bird
sweeps in front of you down a
street you've never heard of.

You might pause and smile,
a sweet beginning to your day.

Or you might step into that street
and realize there are many ways to work.

You might sense the bird knows something
you don't and wander after.

You might hesitate when the bird
turns down an alley. For now
there is tension: Is what the
bird knows worth being late?

You might go another block or two,
thinking you can have it both ways.
But soon you arrive at the edge
of all your plans.

The bird circles back for you 
and you must decide which 
appointment you were
born to keep.

The poem illustrates the beauty of listening, the power in following our intuition, and the possibilities that exist when we allows ourselves to follow those possibilities.

Yoga is a beautiful tool that helps us grow our capacity to listen. We listen to the teacher and ultimately we listen to our instructions coming from within. Free of right and wrong, good and bad, we move forward in each pose, listening within, following our breath, until we choose when and where to stop in each pose.

Isn't that amazing?

Speaking of amazing. I'm so happy those two yoginis are teaming up to lead our very first Yoga + Wine event this Friday from 6:00 - 8:00. Pre-regisration is required. You're coming, right? Register here!


No comments: