Friday, January 26, 2007

Pottery & Photography




I had a near perfect day today. I started a pottery class with the very talented Wyman Rice at his studio downtown. For two hours I got my hands all dirty molding and shaping clay, drinking green tea, listening to great music, and having wonderful conversation with Wyman about pottery and yoga. I've always been interested in pottery. I'm drawn to pottery when I go to galleries and shops, so this was the perfect opportunity to roll up my sleeves and dig in. I was so excited, poor Wyman probably tired of my questions quickly. But he was the perfect teacher and never led me to believe that. I still can't believe that I made this beautiful pot! All within two hours. I'm not sure how long I expected this to take, but the process moved much more quickly that I anticipated. We're gonna fire this pot next week and start another piece. If you check the handle on the pot, the texture came from rubbing a fluorescent light cover on the clay. I love that Wyman recycles everyday items and finds ways to incorporate them into his art. It's all very fascinating to me. I can't wait for next weeks lesson.


Then I spent a couple hours this evening photographing Leigh Ann and David


at Keeneland....very Kentucky-ish with the barns, stables and beautiful scenery in general. Plus it was a picture perfect day with the bluest of skies, but brrrr, was it cold? I keep reminding myself that it is January after all. I got a few good shots before my battery died on us. I'm gonna have to replace it. Time for a new one. I'm lovin' this shadow shot!



1 comment:

Dr. Leigh Ann Simmons said...

I'm very impressed by your pottery skills!! Wow!